Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Three Songs Available for Downloading FOR FREE!


2-23-10
I have been struggling for the past four months with learning Cakewalk Sonar Producer Edition software for digital audio recording. Simply put, it is the single hardest thing I have studied since college, 40 years ago. I'm winning the battle, but it ain't easy. My band and I have recorded 3 songs as of now, and I have spent over 100 hours editing and polishing them for your pleasure. They are not our best material. I'm saving my best songs for when I really know what I'm doing.
When I first got Cakewalk's Sonar Producer Edition 8.0 software, I had to call their technical support almost every day for the first 3 weeks to help me solve problems, things I simply could not do with the music recording software. I have to admit those young men who answered my questions were great on almost every phone call. I had other sources of information: I bought Scott Garrigus's book, Sonar Power, and would look through its 800 pages for an answer; I have the Help file that comes with Sonar- extensive, but frustrating to use; I have the owner's manual that comes with the software, but it's a joke in its brevity!; I have an old friend with the same software, but get tired of pestering him with emails (http://www.brucebartlettrecording.com/) or simply couldn't wait for an answer in my email; and lastly I have the online forum of Sonar users, but those folks can be rough on a newbie like me. I opted for the 20 minute waits incurred with each phone call to technical support. I learned to just put the cell phone on speakerphone and set it down while I found odd jobs to do in the studio.
As of now, February, 2010, I have learned approximately half of what Sonar can even do. There's lots more to learn! This is one very deep and powerful program for audio recording!
But the three songs are up on our band's web site with upload buttons for the few that might want to put the songs on their computer or iPhone or any MP3 player. Head on over to http://www.mikeandthewavemakers.com/ , and when you've listened to the songs on the Audio Gallery page shoot me a short message telling me what ya think of this material and the message in the first two songs. I am usually very proud of my song lyrics compared to the mostly junk lyrics I hear on the radio these days. I am only an average singer and an average guitarist, but I think I write good songs. Not great songs like Billy Joel or John Prine, just good songs. But I will get better, I promise!
Thanks-
Mike

No comments: